Saturday 13 January 2018

Open Badges


13/1/18

Thing 2: Open Badges.    







 
When I first heard colleagues talking about open badges I felt quite unsure and wondered if I would be confident enough to do a badge. I now feel very excited and my hunger to learn has been reignited by the opportunities SSSC23things and Open badges has to offer. Open badge will enable me to evidence my learning as I go and to share it with the relevant organisations and people throughout my career in an accessible and portable way. I feel that the need for files full of certificates and papers are a thing of the past. I will have a digital evidence of my achievements and  have the added bonus that it will be kinder to the environment and reduce the need for storage space.
As I learn in many different ways I feel that I am now going to be able to evidence fully the knowledge I am gaining from every day things such as reading an article or learning a new skill or method as a result of an experience. In the past I always felt it was quite difficult to evidence such learning but as result of SSSC23things introducing me the world of blogging and the method used when applying for an open badge I feel that this is now going to be much more simpler.
I am amazed that the badges will hold such a lot of information, detailing how I earned the badge, the amount of commitment and work I put in to gain the badge, the standards and skills on which the badge is determined, even keeping the records of award dates and expiry. This is such a great concept and one which I am certain that I will benefit from.
I Love the fact that Open badges allows exchanges of information between others and that it provides a connection with other Social care colleagues. The realisation of the importance of ensuring my work is to a good standard has become apparent. As I have learnt more about open badges I realise that not only will any badges I gain act as an assessment aid to SSSC on my continuing professional development but that I can share my relevant badges with employers to hopefully progress in my career.       
I can pick up my laptop and study at a time that is good for me. I feel confident that the knowledge I am gaining is relevant to my role and that I can share my learning and development with others.   
Whilst blogging in my Google account I was shocked when I found that I could find my complete Google history and also came across the search history of my daughter which was harmless enough but indicated that it is another way in which with knowledge I could hopefully prevent her from harm by monitoring this. I must admit that my lack of IT security knowledge has begun to scare me. I have already learnt just by doing Thing 1 and Thing 2 that it is so important not to enter any information that I would not be happy,safe or permitted to share. Once information is out there it is hard to reverse it.  
I hadn't realised that many people and organisation from around the world have embraced open badges. What a great opportunity for us to learn and share with one another. I feel as though I am part of  a worldwide community of learners, it’s great!

No comments:

Post a Comment